Rakitnica settlement was mentioned in1311 and today are still discerned the remains of the former houses and walls built in a dry-wall. A local church of St. John the Baptist, located close to the village, was built in 1445 when the parish of Rakitnica was founded.
Noblemen from Šibenik, the owners of Rakitnica, along with peasants, began building the Gradina castel on the steep ridge above the settlement in 1509, for the purpose of defence against the Turks. Throughout the 17th century severe battles were fought for Rakitnica between the Turkish and Venetian army. The truce was set in 1699 when the Turks left this area.